Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Growing Self-Awareness

As we head toward the year-and-a-half-old mark, I've definitely noticed Justin growing in self-awareness lately. This manifests in several ways. Perhaps most striking, he has started saying "Jus" when he sees pictures of himself or sees himself in a mirror. He used to say "baby" but now he says "Jus." The last few days "Jus" seems to be everywhere--in car windows, the oven door, etc.

Another way this shows up is when Justin expresses that he wants to try to do something by himself. After hearing him say "felf" several times, I finally figured out that that means he wants to do it himself!

And since a desire for some control over what happens to oneself usually comes along with self-awareness, the moment I've been expecting has now arrived... Yesterday Justin started using the word "no." Mind you, he has been communicating that notion effectively for quite some time through body language, facial expression, and eventually shaking his head. But I'm finding there is something much more striking and forceful to hearing the word come out of his mouth. Ah, let the next round of toddler fun begin!

1 comment:

Al and Lyndsie said...

Not even 1 1/2 yet and already "no!" Hmmmm they grow up faster than I realized. I have to say though "felf" is about the cutest thing I've ever heard. It would be hard to not let a little man try on his own after melting your heart with "felf." ;)